You know, being a confirmed bachelor who has lived many places, traveled many miles, it really has been a grateful life with the dozens of doting Moms who have nurtured me.
My birth Mom who had rheumatic fever and congestive heart troubles was advised by her doc to not have children. She had nine, with one miscarriage, and two of us through c-section of whom Dad had to make the choice of Mom, or the baby. She loved each of us uniquely, tenderly and always referred to us as her nine little miracles. She was our prayer warrior, and showed us the strength found in faith in Christ.
Growing up in a close-knit family in Brander Township along that country road, there was no shortage of Motherly doting from Aunts, and most especially from Dad's cousin Mama Lou. Not to mention the mothering from my five older sisters. I had no Grandma alive when I came along, but we had Grandma Sausker who spoiled all the kids in Brander Township.
When I was in the Navy, in Virginia there was a street preacher's wife who was a nurturing Mom to many sailors, with a great meal at their home after Sunday church. In southern California, I was doted upon by Uncle Bob's wife, Aunt Bea. Oh the laughter the three of us shared!
Later in Maryland, while attending First Baptist Church of Savage, there was not a shortage of Moms for this Nomad -- Jackie, Karen, Alice, Judy, Gail, Janet, and so so many more! I also lived for a time with my cousin Myrna, a woman with such a tender heart. While living with her and David, she was the one who taught me the fine art of making Norwegian Potato Dumplings.
Attending Bible college in South Carolina, Mrs. Merry, and Mrs. Beyer, welcomed this North Dakota boy into their motherly love. I spent a year studying in Jerusalem, and the senior campus housekeeper Margo(?) was the concerned mother for so many students.
I lived a year in Washington state, briefly with Uncle Pete and Aunt Melba. Oh the love and nurturing and the laughter. I am glad that Aunt Melba came to live here in Bismarck for a spell, many evenings in her apartment with Cousin Myrna sharing coffee, conversation, and Rummikub.
Back home to North Dakota, under Dad and Mom's roof for a year. Such patience she gave to a thirty-three year old son still trying to find his bearings. Thank you Mom.
Through Mouse River Players in Minot, and Dakota Stage in Bismarck, arrived more Moms! Even politics brought more Moms. I would be most daft to not celebrate NASCAR who gave me one of my more exciting Moms, Mamma Bernie with whom I have joined on a couple trips.
And even though the miles were distant, I still purposed to be home with Mom each weekend in her final years. Towards the end she was trapped in her body, but those blue eyes still sparkled with life. It was great to be able to just sit with her, hold her hands, read for her. Just like she always did for each of us. Our sister Kristine served as Dad and Mom's 24/7 caregiver, and she has been a Mom to our twenty nieces and nephews, and their kids.
Of course life will bring you health and mental and emotional troubles, and living alone, along comes the Moms who are there to nourish you, spoil you, and help you get back on your feet.
Nope, life has been wonderful, and all my Moms have helped make it delightful. No, I did not name each and every one of my many Moms, I was too fearful I would forget a name or two. But yep, each of you Motherly figures, to you and for you I am most grateful. Thank you, thank you.

No comments:
Post a Comment