06 April 2015

Rambling Journal Entry #150406

Rambling Journal Entry #150406: I think there might a point or a question to this lengthy rambling, hope you can find it.

-->
Caveat: I am a privileged white homosexual cis-gendered male who has an ever-evolving faith in the Christ Jesus. I am not the litmus test to be using.

This whole American Christian fundamentalist uproar against gays and lesbians has been deafening. Right? Well, unless you prefer to choose to live behind your pretty li'l rose-colored safety glasses.

I had statused late last week on Facebook about how the “church” has in various ways shushed up the gay community for almost two-thousand years. Some have been nice and subtle, and other ways blatant and violent. Then along in the past fifty or seventy years, the gay community has realized that after all those years under the oppressors’ thumb, they do have a voice.

Now, the church-type-folk are beginning to discover that gays and lesbians are normal, are living and breathing humans, and are not simply just an issue, a non-tangible topic, a debatable type of subject. These types of people are discovering that we have the exact same Maslow hierarchy of needs as they do. These people now are in a panic because what was once silent under their thumb, is actually speaking up for their chance at the hierarchy of needs.

We are not forcing a "normalization"; people are waking up and seeing that we are indeed “normal”. Since they have relatively lost the power to go about suppressing other minorities, marginalized, etc., they are worried about losing their control over us, for not being heterosexual.

Repeatedly people assure me that they do love you. It is their problem and not yours. These assurances are from those who have not lived a life of shame for being gay; for decades society wanted me to be straight, to fit in, to hush. I can’t. It hurts, but I have been along this path long enough. My concern is for those who are new to coming out, whether as LGBT or as a straight ally, those new to experiencing such vitriol. The damage such thoughts and words and deeds are truly devastating, suicidal.

Anybody who wants to use their definition of God against me, I am terribly saddened. I know the Triune God to be full of grace and mysterious mystery. I cannot fit Him in a box. Why do we find it necessary to cram God into a box just so that we can control any human that we dare deem less-than.

O Christian, why can’t you just allow me to be who God designed me to be, and not your image of what I should be? O Christian, how do your words against gays and lesbians define the grace and compassion of Christ? Why do you prefer double-standards of treatment for me? Why do we have such huge logs in our eyes?

That’s enough. For those who are hurting, I do indeed pray for you -- for strength and courage, for a comforting presence of another human physically in contact with you walking this journey.

End of ramble. That is my heart spilling out for the evening.

No comments: