23 September 2014

Is being GAY a CHOICE?





My response after viewing this video:  I know my story is not unique. When I was growing up in rural North Dakota in the '70s and '80s,
I didn't know what was wrong with me. I just knew I was different. I just thought bullying was part and parcel of not being the normal. I wished then that I could be like everyone else.


It's taken a long while to accept myself as myself; but yet still receiving subtle subliminal forms of rejection from Christians for being gay and from gay people for being Christian, I don't know where I am with a current answer of whether I which I would choose -- gay or straight.


And it seems "coming out" itself is an ongoing continual process each time you meet someone new or a new group or something. Where do they stand? Will it be a non-issue? Will they make it an issue? Will they give the cold shoulder and act like nothing is wrong? Will there be anyone to take a stand for me? Is that smile real? Yes, they say collectively all are welcome, but what about the individual person in the group, do they give welcome? How am I supposed to act? How do I be not offensive?


Crimony, I am 48 and have been out of the closest for long over a decade and am glad for who I am and the journey I have enjoyed, yet it all really never gets better. I think I just get better, and I hope I am not getting bitter.

No comments: