01 October 2013
Family Hope
I too have the hope, desire, wish, longing that my siblings would be NALT.
That they would allow me to bring my boyfriend to family gatherings. That they would be interested even if I were dating, the same interest that they give to nieces and nephews with their dating lives (well, pertenearly all of them are hitched now). That they would not be terrified of anything I said for fear it would enter into "gay" territory. That they would not be flustered with radishes that I brought from my boyfriend's garden. That they would not abandon me, utter death threats or challenge against me for admitting the title of "gay Christian". That my presence would not make them uncomfortable longing for a chance to get away quick. That I wouldn't be told to simply quit sinning and love God. That I, Kevin, brother and uncle, would not be compared to various sins that others struggle with. That there wouldn't be a pile of eggshells around everyone.
If only there was open fellowship. If there only was genuine welcome. If only there was joy in the gathering with family. If there only was frank conversation. If only there was using Scripture for encouragement instead of beating.
I know that our family is disconnected, especially since Mom died. I though did hear from several people at the Sibling Reunion that "I haven't seen them in a while", "I don't know when I last talked with them" or such. I am not going to broach the subject as the last time I tried a year after Mom died, I was lambasted for just using that "gay card pity party".
I have been told that two of my siblings, Connie and Clifford, have spoken on my behalf before. I know that there are nieces and nephews who rally around life with me. But the whole overall don't ask, don't tell policy and never knowing from which angle I might be reprimanded, it makes me sad.
Yes, I have work family, theatre family, NASCAR family, a ton of friends who are just there for me. But to have your own parent's children and grandchildren missing out on my life, that is discouraging. I am unable to change them, I just have to learn to live with what I have and rejoice with how good life is, and continue to maintain my relationship with the Triune God of Abraham, Ishmael and Isaac.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment