Here is a summary of the month after the
migraine/seizure/stroke/spell episode thing, as gathered from Facebook
status updates or such:
March 29
Contact Amber Hill for info as my concentrating is minimalistic. — with Amber Hill at St. Alexius Medical Center.
March 30 via mobile
Journal
Entry 130330: Discharged and now recouping at Mikes. No walker. Still
trying to get my left leg to know how to join in the locomotion stuff.
Thankfully BodyFlow has taught me how to balance on one leg! Grateful
for the many friends who have given presence in this time. Fret not,
YHWH knows what is going on. — with Amber Hill and Mike Eberle.
March 31 via mobile
Christ is Risen! Christ is Alive! Christ is Returning!
March 31 via mobile
Supper with Mike and Carol at Applebee's before heading home. — with Mike Eberle at Applebees Neighborhood Grill & Bar.
March 31
Home — at Crestview Manor Apartments.
March 31
So,
prayer and rejoicing requests for the immediate here and now... For
this left leg to get cooperative as I am in a play that opens Wednesday
evening. For fret-not-ed-ness about the upcoming St. Alexius bills. For
gratitude for friends who give compassion freely.
April 1 near Bismarck
Monday
Status: Made it to work, and to Gypsy dress rehearsal for the evening.
The leg is still uncooperative. Work was easy, my scene in Gypsy is
short, but the distance across stage with a cane, not so short (-;
Followup appointment tomorrow afternoon with the neurologist. Life. It's
all good because no matter what you say, YHWH is still in charge.
April 2
Well,
all tests and such point only to the hemiplegic migraine. Start taking
Coenzyme Q10 to aid in the muscle recovery. Begin physical therapy
tomorrow two to three times per week for three to four weeks.
Interesting to discover friends at their workplace -- Emmalee Riegler!
Believe you me, Dr. Tariq is a very good, concerned doctor. — at St.
Alexius Medical Arts.
April 2 near Bismarck
Life Observations of a Theatre Junkie #130402:
1]
Broke a long-standing personal tradition since some ninny was in the
hospital during tech rehearsal of Gypsy. I wear the same pair of jeans
that I wear during first tech rehearsal through the rest of the run of
the show. Don't know why or where or when that started, but it got broke
this time.
2] Dern Gold's Gym and this healthy thing. Instead of
coming home from rehearsal late at night and just digging out the
quickest bucket-o-lard junk food and/or chips, I go and fix a
spinach/broccoli/salmon/cottage cheese salad thing. Wait. What?
3]
I've been called worse, but an unnamed director sort of chastised me
humorously this afternoon for going on with Gypsy, and said I had to be
one of the more dedicated and/or stubborn actors they currently know.
What can I do? It's my addiction.
4] And, when Gypsy is done, head
back to rehearsals with Marcus is Walking, and a few adjustments for the
characters as discussed with the director since someone's ditzy leg is
being still uncooperative and forcing me into physical therapy.
5] I must honestly say "Thanks to my theatre families for the gift of friendship, encouragement, and inclusion."
April 3 via mobile
Oh
for spitting on a dead duck, this is irritating. Just finished with the
PT eval. Five points strength on right aside, and ones or twos on left
leg. Will need to have OT eval done on left arm as well. Inbox message
me of you want the further details. — at St alexius orthopedic center of
excellence.
April 4 via mobile
ohmygoodnessohmygoodness! ijustscrunchedmylefttoes!
April 4 via mobile
Forgot
to mention, yesterday that a minister friend stopped by work just to
check in what with this health thing. That was very nice if him.
April 5 via mobile
Well
it's been crazy to hear from Nancy at work informing me of what
happened at the ER and all. Asked her about the docs and nurses as well.
She said that she had worked w the docs twin brother twenty years ago.
Crazy. Where was I?
April 5
Physical Therapy and then Occupational Therapy Assessment — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
April 5 via mobile
PT
and OT completed for the day. They set me up w a spring mechanism for
my left foot to gait correctly. I also bought a cane as the crutch was
more of a bother than not. The OT for the hand and arm, all sorts of
frustrations there. Measured significant weaknesses and fatigue in it.
Never felt this helpless under a pile of frustrations as I am in this
moment of time.
April 7
Curtain has closed on show number two
of with Bismarck State College; and once again, new friends are made. My
theatre family grows with friends and memories.
April 7
Tomorrow
evening, I continue rehearsals with show thirteen at Dakota Stage --
Marcus is Walking. One scene reduced due to the left side problems, the
other two scenes barely touched.
April 10
PT and OT Session 3 — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
Getting
stronger in the distal muscles of the lower leg, and lower arm.
Proximal muscles of the leg and shoulder are still considerably weak.
Getting out of a chair, getting the leg over and into the tub, walking
distances or standing for a period, not so exuberant. Reaching or
lifting above my shoulders, not so thrilling. Learning the fine art of
being awkward...
April 10
Just received word that Millie, the
Family Farm Pup, was assisted into the hereafter this morning after a
period of declining health. Here she is at four-years old in the family
photo. She was a gift on behalf of sister Connie Bulow and her family to
Dad in 1999, just barely three months before he died. We named her
Millie -- the new pup for the new millennium. After Dad died, she was
greatly attached to Mom, and also to eldest brother Kenny. Every one
loved Millie, and she loved everyone's attentions. May she now go and
have fun with Dad, Mom, and the two tomcats, Muffin and Mini, whom she
loved to annoy.
April 11 via mobile
How I wish for a hug, and a "little spoon" to cuddle. . .
April 12 [Text]
Yay God! Finally the leg on its own accord got up and over into the tub. The pile of frustrations keeps on shrinking!
April 12
OT and PT, again — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
April 13
It
just ails me tremendously for having known the grace I have known to
yet see so many with the "Christian" monicker being so unChristlike with
those they should love.
April 14
At home, alone on a Sunday. Oh, wait. Same as every weekend. Except that there is a blizzard today, in April. No worries.
April 15 via mobile
Yeah,
thank you so much Golds Gym... Friends post about their Blizzard Chips
and Snacks and Junk Food. Here I am, Look at me with my almonds and
cranberries and monster cookie protein shake. :-P
April 15
Blizzard on Sunday, windows cracked open on Monday. April in North Dakota, don't ya know!
April 15 via mobile
Either
the weather, or being away from the gym for this long, or humans being
mean and stupid, or missing work, but my mood is badly off-kilter.
April 15 via mobile
My response to NBC's Ready For Love -- Guess what, us normal looking, non-rich, single old gay guys are Ready For Love too (-;
April 15 via mobile
Apartment
neighbor asks to borrow my parking spot, and offers to clear the drift
in front of my garage door. Faith in humanity continues.
April 17
OT and PT, try again — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
I
got partial clearance for very light gym time! But still haven't
clearance from the cane as of yet, especially for stairs or outdoor
mobility.
April 17 at 12:20pm
Dagnabbit, PT did some naughty
work on both my legs today, so they're both asking me to not go to the
gym in the morn. Fatigued and tingly. Grumpy.
April 17 at 10:13pm
April 18 via mobile
Another
ponder... Here I am at 47 wondering about finding a mentor, or a
counselor, or a shrink, or a knowing friend alongside me, or a life
coach, or do I just need to get back to the gym soon.
April 18 via mobile
I am going to the gym in the morn at five; who will join me to hold my cane? (-; — at Golds Gym.
April 19
Rambling Journal Entry 130419: Did make it back to the gym this morning.
The
Good: Getting back to the gym; Seeing friends, receiving hugs, hearing
encouragement; No weight gain since I have been out of commission, none.
The Bad: So much strength lost on the left side; Definitely not where I was in March; The leg especially tired out very quickly.
The
Ugly: Need to keep pushing, if not, I can and will give up; I am
selfish and relish personal, physically-present encouragement, yes --
textual and cyber encouragement has been wonderful, savored and
appreciated.
To those who have been there textually or physically, God be Praised for Your Kindnesses!
April 20
With
heartfelt gratitude to Anna, Linda and Lucy for a very pleasant evening
of fellowship and conversation. Thank you for the heart refill!
April 22 via mobile
It
is always a good time spending an evening with Paul and Nicole Cook and
playing with Eli and Quinn. — with Nicole Cook and Paul Cook.
April 23 via mobile
Ha.
Just did a few reps of weightless squats and lunges with NO jelly dance
when rising. Ha. Take that life, and you said I would never do that
again.
April 23
Physical and Occupational therapy, yep — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
Well, graduated out of OT with the arm. Still working on leg stamina with PT, and yet w the cane for stairs and outside.
April 24 via mobile
Third
time back to the gym, slowly getting back to where I was a month ago.
Good encouragement from friends there. To those few who have trusted me
with your concern and care during this recovery, I am grateful. For the
most part, I know I would rather give up, but I don't.
April 25 via mobile
Of course Mr. Grumpy Leg decides to be all weak and wimpy today. I'd rather just fetal in bed. But I don't.
April 26
Physical therapy, if it weren't for the sunshine, I could still be frustrated — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
Tuesday and Wednesday were great. Thursday and today, it has been regressing.
April 26 via mobile
Pleasant
time with Democrats commemorating the legacy of Senator Kent Conrad.
Great progressive energies. Not so fun with the grumpy leg.
April 29
Fourth week of Physical Therapy, the last? — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
Well,
the new discovery is that I am unable to walk backwards, or doing side
steps without fatigue, without balance, or without coordination. And my
brain communication with my knee is even wonky. Good grief.
April 29 at 11:43am
April 30 via mobile
So,
who is going to be my patron dance partner saint to help my left leg
relearn how to side-step and walk backwards? Oh, that's right, I don't
dance (-;
May 1
Well, so let's see what tricks PT will have for me leg today... — at St. Alexius Acceleration Sports Training.
May 2
Ready
for yet another rant? The leg strength and endurance just is not
returning much no matter how much gym time I do. Yet, I am still at the
gym. And when I leave the gym, I hear the birds singing. I figure if God
cares for them, He is going to keep on continually carrying for me. You
know? — at Gold's Gym.
It's just mind frustrating going from 30
minutes on the elliptical at level 8 or 9, to now barely accomplishing
just two minutes at level 1... and dagnabbit, I want to be doing squats
with the big-boy bars again, NOW...
May 2 at 8:39am
May 2
I
am dedicating tonight's opening performance in Marcus to the cast and
crew of Gypsy and of Marcus, with much gratitude for your patience and
kindnesses as I hobbled across stage, struggled with lines, and tried
concealing my grumpiness. You all are a great and cherished family to
me. — at Dakota Stage Ltd.
May 2 via mobile
Whoa. That was weird. First time in a month at a urinal. Where does one place the cane? Uff da.
May 3
One
month follow up with the stroke/migraine specialist neurologist. Will
it be a lobotomy or a bottle in front of me (-; — at St. Alexius Medical
Arts.
A bottle in front of me. Definitely the hemiplegic migraine
caused by stress and the flip-flopping weather. It all just shut my body
down. So, keep continuing with physical therapy and the gym. Do not
push beyond the fatigue levels. Start a low dosage of an anti-seizure
med. Follow up in two months. Chance for full and complete recovery is
there. And since my life, nor is anyone's for that matter, has never
been a Hallmark movie of inspiration where the unexpected stranger comes
along and pushes you forward, the amount of mental frustration this
past month is overwhelming so I will be starting some counseling next
week.
May 3 at 12:56pm
So, all in all, truly much
gratefulness to those of you who have blessed me with your physical and
tangible presences. To those with geographical distances who kept in
touch via cyber, gratefulness truly as well for your kindesses. The
cards, the texts, the FB messages, those too have all been most
appreciated as well.
03 May 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment