30 November 2012

Radishes

Let me share a horror story of radishes. Yes, the sweet and innocent red vegetable from summertime. Radishes.



So, back in 2003 I started dating a guy from Mandan. And shortly thereafter, I was advised by my siblings that I would not be allowed to bring him to any family gatherings. Nope.

Summer of 2004, there was a family gathering out at the Farmstead. No, I was not going to bring my boyfriend. But, however, he did have a huge garden. And in his huge garden, he had an abundance of radishes. My family enjoys radishes. So, we gathered a sizable sack of radishes for me to take to the Farmstead.

I arrived Friday evening, and my sister asked where the radishes came from. I told her that my boyfriend and I had gathered them from his garden. She promptly placed them in the fridge.

Saturday around lunchtime, when the preparations for dinner commenced, the sisters are gathering up all the food for preparations. I pull out the radishes and place them on the counter as my contribution.

Someone made the mistake of asking where all those radishes came from. I said that my boyfriend and I had picked them from his garden.

Oh the hilarity that ensued, inside, as I watched my sisters scramble all over each other to quickly change the subject. Just because the radishes were from my boyfriend.

And that is just how scary radishes can be.

No comments: