20 November 2015

What are we do with those we consider to be different from us?

What are we do with those we consider to be different from us? How are we as followers of Christ supposed to interact with the marginalized that make us uncomfortable? How can our lives be a living example of His good news?
Some Scripture verses that encourage us to be better include:

            Exodus 23:9 YOU MUST NOT OPPRESS FOREIGNERS. You know what it’s like to be a foreigner, for you yourselves were once foreigners in the land of Egypt.

            Micah 6:8 No, O people, the Lord has told you what is good, and this is what he requires of you: to DO WHAT IS RIGHT, to LOVE MERCY, and to WALK HUMBLY WITH YOUR GOD.

            Matthew 25:35-40 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’ “Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you … ?’ “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, WHEN YOU DID IT TO ONE OF THE LEAST OF THESE MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, YOU WERE DOING IT TO ME!’

            Mark 12:29-33 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. And you must love the LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”

            Luke 6:37 DO NOT JUDGE OTHERS, and you will not be judged. DO NOT CONDEMN OTHERS, or it will all come back against you. FORGIVE OTHERS, and you will be forgiven.

            John 13:34-35 So now I am giving you a new commandment: LOVE EACH OTHER. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.

            Hebrews 13:2 Don’t forget to SHOW HOSPITALITY TO STRANGERS, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it!

Otherwise, our Christian witness may be in jeopardy if we do not follow the life of Christ with His grace and mercy. Here are a few verses that can challenge us if we are not showing Jesus to the world in our lived out faith:

            John 15:1-8 I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. HE CUTS OFF EVERY BRANCH OF MINE THAT DOESN’T PRODUCE FRUIT, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. … When you produce much fruit, you are my true disciples. This brings great glory to my Father.

            James 2:14-17 What good is it, dear brothers and sisters, IF YOU SAY YOU HAVE FAITH BUT DON’T SHOW IT BY YOUR ACTIONS? Can that kind of faith save anyone? Suppose you see a brother or sister who has no food or clothing, and you say, “Good-bye and have a good day; stay warm and eat well”—but then you don’t give that person any food or clothing. What good does that do? So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.

            James 3:7-10 People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God.  And so BLESSING AND CURSING COME POURING OUT OF THE SAME MOUTH. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!

            Revelation 3:15:16 I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are LIKE LUKEWARM WATER, NEITHER HOT NOR COLD, I WILL SPIT YOU OUT OF MY MOUTH!

As difficult as it may seem, we each must consider our response as Christ next time we are met with someone who is marginalized -- someone of a different race, someone of a different culture, someone of a different sexual orientation, someone of a different economic class, someone of a different ability, someone of a different belief system. How you relate with these people that you consider different from you should be a reflection of God’s grace and mercy. Otherwise, you could be showing yourself as a fruitless branch, lukewarm, a dead and useless faith. Can you really call yourself a Christian if you only practice the comfortable parts of the Bible which fit your world view? Consider how it might be you who are destroying Christianity with your lack of mercy and love with your neighbor, with the strangers you meet. 

No comments: