01 April 2015

The resounding toll of silence

The resounding toll of silence slices deeper than a double-edge sword...

So, against the better wisdom of proven history and knowledge, I chose to email my family asking for their support for SB2279 coming up for a vote. I expected retaliation. I did not expect to be left undefended. Here are the emails:

Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2015 03/31/15 20:53:03 CDT
From:      Kevin R. Tengesdal
Subject:      Human Rights in North Dakota

Siblings and Family in North Dakota, can you please lend me an ear?

North Dakota Senate Bill #2279 relating to the prohibition of discrimination based upon sexual orientation goes to the North Dakota House chambers as early as Thursday. This morning the bill received a 11-2 DO NOT PASS recommendation from the House Human Services Committee.

The committee heard over two dozen people speak in support of this bill, compared to about half a dozen speaking against, in addition to thousands of pages of support. This bill is not about granting special legal protection to "SEXUAL ACTS" but about human dignity, respect, and equality.

More FAQ can be found here:
http://dakotaoutright.org/awareness/sb2279/sb2279-frequently-asked-questions

Please contact your North Dakota Representatives and ask for a ?YES? vote WITHOUT this Amendment on Senate Bill 2279, the Nondiscrimination Bill, which will be brought to the House for full vote on Thursday, April 2nd. Contact your friends to contact their representatives as well.

You can also send your message via this link:
https://www.legis.nd.gov/lcn/assembly/constituentViews/public/publicviewpointormessage.htm

Find your Representatives here:
https://www.legis.nd.gov/lcn/assembly/constituentViews/public/findmylegislator.htm

Track the progress of SB2279 here:
http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/64-2015/bill-index/bi2279.html

As your brother and uncle, I ask for your support for human rights and dignity.

For now,
Kevin

=============================================

Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2015 03/31/15 21:48:06 CDT
From:      Clifford Tengesdal (Brother)
To:      krten1966@bis.midco.net
Subject:      Re: Human Rights in North Dakota

Sorry Kevin but I cannot lend you an ear because I need both of my ears.

=============================================

Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 2015 03/31/15 21:58:39 CDT
From:      Josh Kleymann (Niece’s Husband)
To:      Kevin R. Tengesdal
Subject:      RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

Can I send a recommendation for "no vote" to the same link?

=============================================

From: Kevin R. Tengesdal [mailto:krten1966@bis.midco.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 7:13 AM
Subject: Re: Human Rights in North Dakota

And I had always believed I could count on you, Clifford. What happened?

=============================================

Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2015 08:10:39 CDT
From:      Tengesdal, Betty (Sibling #02’s Wife)
To:      Kevin R. Tengesdal
Subject:      RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

FYI:  Please take off my school E mail from your contact list.  I should not be getting personal E Mails on this account

We love you Kevin!  That has not changed.

But speaking for myself, I will not support any agenda that speaks in favor of homosexuality.  We are all about human rights in light of what the Bible says.

1.       All are created in God?s image
2.       We all sin and need a savior
3.       We need to repent and turn from our wicked ways
4.       We do not knowingly or willingly continue in that sin any longer

=============================================

From: "Kevin R. Tengesdal"
Date:04/01/2015 8:28 AM
Subject: RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

Agenda. Lifestyle. Nor do I support any agenda or lifestyle that treats fellow people as less-than, as undeserving of basic human rights, any agenda of suppression. Religion is itself a lifestyle choice that is a protected class.

=============================================

Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2015 08:39:52 CDT
From:      Josh Kleymann
To:      Kevin R. Tengesdal
Subject:      RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

Yes but what this bill is advocating is neither religion or race.  There are many people in this state who believe homo-sexuality is a sin condemned by God.  Therefore, it should be shot down.  This is the beauty of a democracy. ..   Everyone gets an opinion.

=============================================

From: "Kevin R. Tengesdal"
Date:04/01/2015 9:57 AM
Subject: RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

Christian religion is to decide the laws? How is your version of religion destroyed by granting human rights and dignity to another people group? How is your witness to Christ exemplified by denying your neighbor civil rights? How does telling someone you do not know that they do not deserve equal protections you enjoy show the love and gospel of Christ? How does one decide which sin needs public condemnation? Is North Dakota governed by its constitution, or by the Bible? Which version, which parts?

=============================================

Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:31:03 CDT
From:      Sam Wakefield (Nephew)
To:      'Kevin R. Tengesdal'
Subject:      RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

Stop emailing me also. LGBT have never been discriminated against in North Dakota. Discrimination is my kids  subjected to a gay parade while we were bike riding in the park a couple years ago. How do you explain a bunch of ugly guys dressed up as woman, flaming all around. Not normal. How can anyone take you seriously when you parade around like that?

=============================================

Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:54:02 CDT
From:      Josh Kleymann
To:      Kevin R. Tengesdal
Subject:      RE: Human Rights in North Dakota

The arguments not going to happen over email...  I simply said, in a democracy,  I'm entitled to my opinion, and you yours.  I know it's a waste of my time and energy to change your opinion, as you should know it's a waste of your time and energy to change mine.  'Nuff said. 






1 comment:

JD said...

As family, Kevin, you can count on the Skjelver family to support this issue!