HOUSE HUMAN SERVICES COMMITTEE
MONDAY, MARCH 23, 2015
SENATE BILL 2279: Relating to prohibition of discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
Chairman Robin Weisz, Vice Chairman Curt Hofstad, Human Services Committee members and fellow citizens of North Dakota, Greetings. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share my story this morning.
My name is Kevin R. Tengesdal, a native of North Dakota now living in Bismarck.
I have been working in good standing with a company for the past eleven years as a graphic designer. I am a veteran of the United States Navy with an honorable discharge. I am also a graduate from an evangelical Bible College with Bachelor degrees in Biblical Studies and in Biblical Languages. My thriving faith is based upon following the precepts of Jesus.
I stand here to entreat your complete support of SB2279 so as to ensure that discrimination against North Dakota’s LGBT persons and their families will not occur within our communities. I have taken this day off from work to share with you my experiences receiving maginalization simply for being gay.
In 1988, after 15 months of service with the Navy, while home on leave, I found myself in need of assistance from the Minot Police Department. They assured me that if I filed charges, the Navy would not find out. I returned to my ship, ready to put it all behind me. That was not to be as the police had contacted the Navy. Discharge proceedings began, first with two weeks in a psych ward to determine my mental state. On March 18th, the Navy delivered me a DD214 discharge – an honorable discharge via administrative separation due to personality disorder for the convenience of the government with no chance of re-enlistment, for being gay. After I signed the discharge papers, two Military Police ushered me off the San Diego Navy Base, and I was re-entered into civilian life. A DD214 follows you, and if a potential employer wants full disclosure of your background, this can alert them of ones sexual orientation. I was crushed as I had anticipated a life of serving our great country.
Eventually I moved to Maryland, where I was actively involved with a Baptist church. Mission trips, choir, Sunday School, the works. One day, I was called by the Pastor for a meeting. He wanted to let me know that under no circumstances would he ever allow me to be involved in any leadership position where the youth were invovled, because of my homosexual “problem,” as he called it. To this day, I find myself quite hesitant when asked to be in a similar position of leadership, so I decline the offer.
Later, I studied at a Bible college in Columbia, South Carolina with a year in Jerusalem. My intent was to obtain a degree where I would be able to assist Bible translators. In the summer of 1996 just before my senior year of college, Wycliffe Bible Translators terminated my application for service with them due to the DD214 report. I started my final year of college with no clue for a future career path.
With these jarring life lessons, I learned the necessity for purposing to keep my identity best hidden with new employments, most especially when I returned to live here in North Dakota. One anecdote was at my current employment where a summer intern approached our supervisor to ask him if it bothered him that I am gay. He asked her why. She replied, “What if Kevin makes a move on you.” His response, “What if the press guys made a move on you.” She never spoke to me the remainder of her term.
Gratefully, neither my work experiences nor housing situations since have been devastating. Unfortunately, I am unable to claim this tolerance as the definitive norm for all gay citizens within our communities, whether it be in the labor force or in housing situations. Quite frankly, I do not follow the heteronormative rules of society for gays and lesbians, and remain quiet. Simply put, there are many gay people who have experienced discrimination of one form or another here in North Dakota. These people are wary of sharing their stories in public for fear of retributions of any kind. Those who have never been marginalized or treated as less-than are often unwilling to comprehend this, and perpetually demand proof of any discriminiation.
It is my hope that you and the members of the 2015 legislature will choose to be on the compassionate side of history. I request a unanimous DO PASS on this bill as presented. We are a state that prides itself on a strong work ethic, and supporting our families, youth and community. We must pass this bill, now, and without amendment.
In 1888, Robert G. Ingersoll is quoted in “The Limitations of Toleration” stating, “Give to every human being every right that you claim for yourself.” Representatives, allow me to close by simply stating that we, your fellow citizens of North Dakota, are as much a part of this state as you, and as your gay family and friends, we are seeking fair treatment, not fear treatment.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Kevin R. Tengesdal, District 35
Bismarck, ND 58501
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment