Twenty-five years ago today, after fifteen months and eighteen days of
service with the U.S. Navy,
and after a couple weeks in their psych
ward, I was issued an honorable discharge via administrative separation
due to personality disorder and not recommended for re-enlistment due to
homosexual conduct, then escorted off the San Diego Naval Base by two
MP, and I once again was a civilian.
I had joined the ship while she was in dry-dock in Long Beach. She then
re-homeported to San Diego just the November before I was discharged.
They had provided me with a one-way plane ticket back to home in North
Dakota. I was young and scared, so didn't stick around in San Diego.
Some people have good experiences about coming out, others have
traumatic experiences of being found out. Each of us does have a great
story, no matter how big or little, from which there are people who can
benefit.
After going through a long period of self-loathing and such, especially
in that first year after the discharge, I can look back on it as just
one the chapters in my life. Long story short is that I had put myself
in a bad situation and the Navy found out.
Left North Dakota for ten years ('88-'98); and during that time I tried
pursuing the holier-than-thou life of denying who I was and piling on a
bunch of self-loathing, even trying ex-gay ministries. Eventually I
moved back to North Dakota and soon thereafter came clean with myself
and then rediscovered a new, healthier relationship with God. It's been
an interesting twenty-five years (-;
18 March 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment