05 February 2013

SENATE BILL 2252 Testimony


SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 5, 2013
SENATE BILL 2252: Relating to discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation
Committee members and fellow citizens of North Dakota, Greetings. My name is Kevin R. Tengesdal, a native of North Dakota now living in Bismarck.
I have been working in good standing with a company for the past nine years as a graphic designer. I am a veteran of the United States Navy. I am also a graduate from an evangelical Bible College with Bachelor degrees in Biblical Studies and in Biblical Languages. My thriving faith is based upon following the precepts of Jesus. And, yes, I am gay.
I stand here to entreat your complete support of SB2252 so as to ensure that discrimination against LGBT persons and their families will not occur within our communities. Personally I have experienced having one’s life dreams cut short because of my sexual orientation. In 1988, after 15 months of service, the Navy delivered me a DD214 discharge – an honorable discharge via administrative separation due to personality disorder for the convenience of the government with no chance of re-enlistment – because I am gay. I was crushed as I had anticipated a life of serving our great country. A DD214 follows you, and if a potential employer wants full disclosure of your background, this can alert them of ones sexual orientation. In the summer of 1996 before my senior year at Bible College, Wycliffe Bible Translators terminated my application for service with them due to the DD214 background check. Devastated, I started my final year of college with no clue for a future career path.
With these two jarring life lessons, I learned the necessity for purposing to keep my identity best hidden with new employments. Thankfully, my work experiences have not been traumatic, as none have proven discriminatory. Unfortunately, I am unable to claim this acceptance as the definitive norm for all LGBT citizens within our communities, whether it be in the labor force or in housing situations.
In 2009 similar legislation was proposed and some arguments against SB2278 were amazing. “Do we want this in North Dakota?” “A chosen lifestyle has nothing to do with civil rights and everything to do with conduct.” “We are not telling them how to live their lives, just not in the places we hold most sacred.” As a Christian, I ask, how can we decide that a person should be a second-class citizen undeserving of the same respect and dignity that which Christ Himself gives freely? Citizens of North Dakota, should religious sovereignty or dogma rule human fairness and dignity?
We are a state that prides itself on a strong work ethic and supporting our families, youth and community. We must pass this legislation unconditionally now. Representatives and fellow citizens of North Dakota let me close by simply stating that we, your LGBT family and friends, are seeking fair treatment and not fear treatment. Thank you for your time.

Kevin R. Tengesdal, District 35
2025 North 16th Street, Apt 4; Bismarck, ND 58501
krten1966@bis.midco.net; 701/527-0737

No comments: