09 June 2012

My rose-colored glasses got bumped...

Yeah, well, so I am 46 and gay and out and authentic. I have experienced the gamut of reactions from family and friends. However, last evening, I received a FB message from my niece's husband that kind of shook me up.



Granted, I barely know the man. But, his expressions of disgust and offense at my postings on FB left me in a bit of shock. So, instead of going ballistic on him, I chose instead to remain calm, thought it over and eventually sent him this reply:
Thank you so much for being willingly and/or brave enough to share your viewpoints. So many people simply will not bother.
As far as my posts, I purpose as a gay Christian to make posts in regards to homosexuality and Christianity that will show others that God is not against us for being gay. If there are any particular ones that are extremely offensive and bothersome, I would like to know which ones specifically.
If you so need to drop me as a Facebook friend, so be it. You won't need my permission or such. We come from a large family, and I have received the gamut of reactions, from death threats and distancing, to tepid toleration, to wholehearted authentic compassion and connection.
In my life, what I have come to realize that with so many reactions against homosexuality is that so many have been conditioned to accept it as disgusting and vile and abnormal. Add in the fact of a gay being Christian, that is considered even more revolting. But alas, so many of those who cherish such viewpoints haven't really given themselves much time to willingly interact one on one with a person who is gay.
To that end, since you and I have never really met or interacted, I would ask that you read through my attached testimony as a starter of maybe getting to know my journey. [I included a link to my blog.]
If you choose to block or delete me, that is where you are. I will always still be here, and a part of [our] family if you choose to connect.

Basically, just hoping to encourage others that sometimes when it gets tough, it might be better to attempt the high road instead of going nuts on someone. I have not heard back from him, but life continues.

No comments: